Staphylococcus Aureus

                                           
                                                Staphylococcus Aureus on Mannitol Plate



S. Aureus was identified in two of the participants in my study. Although this organism is typically described as an opportunistic pathogen, it is a part of the normal skin flora of approximately 1/4 of the US population. S. Aureus is also associated with dry skin and atopic dermatitis (Williams et al, 2017). Consistent with current research, the person in our dry skin condition had the most colonies of S. Aureus when compared to the participants with normal and combination skin.  Biochemical characteristics of S. Aureus include, mannitol +, coagulase +, glucose +, lactose (+) or (-) , and anaerobic.

Comments

  1. Hey, Rolanda. Staphylococcus aureus has been in my research for quite a lot. It's a fascinating bacteria species to work with. I don't know if you found this information while reading articles, but S. aureus is also found in mucosal membranes and warm areas around the body, like armpits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rolanda,
    First off, I think your isolation streak looks so perfect! I think I still am getting use to the idea that there is so much bacteria that make up normal skin flora, but it's just not anything I would think of before really dedicating time to learning about bacteria.I wonder if I am part of the population that has S. Aureus bacteria on my skin, because I have very dry skin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rolanda! I am so proud of how well you handled this project, you definitely know your bacteria haha. It was great being able to talk to you at the ASU symposium, I only ever get to talk to a few other people on how bacteria plays a role on the skin. Get that paper published girl! Hahaha I'll see you around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Semester...New Project

Mathematics, Engineering and Science Achievement (MESA)