STEM Project: Identifying the Human Microbiome by Skin Type


Hi Everyone,

For my project, I intend to map out the human microbiome by skin type. Ultimately, I would like to identify how to use bacteria to treat skin infections associated with particular skin types. For example, if a person with dry skin also suffers from atopic dermatitis, then theoretically, one could apply healthy bacteria to the skin in order to relieve the symptoms of the infection.  Just imagine...instead of seeing a dermatologist in a doctor's office, you can go to the spa. There, the "staph" would culture the bacteria on your body and develop treatments just for you.

Yes…I just put the tin foil hat on. 

I know it seems like I’m dreaming, but there are start up companies out there who think that probiotics in creams are a viable solution for people suffering from various skin conditions. However, I think the right approach is to customize the products because you don’t want to introduce bacteria that will upset the balance in your microbiome or that will be attacked by your immune system. I’m so excited to get started.

Comments

  1. Hi Rolanda, I am so happy to hear that you are excited about your research project! I can see it through your post that you are enthusiastic and passionate about this particular area. I had never thought about using good bacteria to help treat skin infections! Like your picture says, not all bacteria is bad! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Semester...New Project

Staphylococcus Aureus

Mathematics, Engineering and Science Achievement (MESA)